Digital Photography cont.

12/22/06

I've started on creating my digital photography (dp) course. I've spent a lot of time searching for other online dp courses. I'm going to use three main resources, two existing online courses, and one online book called Grokking the GIMP This book is completely free and you can download a copy of it and use it on your own webserver. I have put it into my course.

The two courses are:

So between the two online courses listed above I'll create my own following the unit outline from the first and adding content and resources from the second. Where I'm stuck is on how to share student work. Ideally I'd have a photoblog within the course where students would post their assignments and other students would comment on them along with instructor feedback. I was told by our CMS, eCollege, that they don't have that feature, but it will be added to the wish list.

So if I want to keep student work and comments within the course, I'm limited to the webliography, doc sharing, and the journal. While doc sharing is my first thought, the students would have to download files onto their computer to view them. While that is OK, it would be nice if they could just view them online. I think I'll use the journal to have students discuss their own work or specific questions with the instructor and the webliography to direct them to online resources.

What I'll probably end up doing is creating a flickr account for the course and have students post and comment on flickr. An added bonus may be that anyone else can look and comment, giving the students a wider audience. To me, that is both intimidating and intriguing at the same time. I"ll also have to look into the privacy issues regarding that. I'm pretty sure that I'll have to employ aliases and not use students' real names.

Another thing to figure out is grading. How to grade, use of rubrics, etc... I'm going to email both creators of the classes I listed above and ask their advice.

0 comments: