Solutions to "are they ready to work"

11/21/06

This is a quick summary of two solutions offered in an article in the newest Technology and Learning magazine I subscribe to, in regard to the report I linked to in the previous post.

  1. teach applied skills integrated with core academic subjects. (This screams "voc-ed" to me.)
  2. businesses have to partner with schools to produce students/workers with the necessary skills.
I would add a third solution of my own....schools (all schools, nation-wide) have to quit promoting college to the exclusion of work. There is a prevailing attitude that college is the only proper place for just graduated HS students. Students who don't want to go to college, have to support their family, want to work, etc... are made to feel that they are making a bad decision. When did we loose the notion that there is honor in work?

0 comments: